Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Forgiveness


“The pain was necessary to know the truth
but we don’t have to keep the pain alive
to keep the truth alive.”
Mark Nepo

Yom Kippur is all about acknowledging we have acted badly and need to atone. We atone by asking for forgiveness from the people we know we’ve hurt and then changing our actions so we don’t do it again. One of the hardest things for me to do is to ask for forgiveness when I believe there will be no reciprocal action from the person who has hurt me. And here’s the kicker. I need to apologize and ask for forgiveness honestly whether or not that person accepts my apology, whether or not that person changes behavior, apologizes or forgives me. I need to ask for forgiveness for my own health, for my soul, for my spirit. I need to do it so I can go into the new year with a clean slate, so that I can help make the world a better place in the year 5773.

If I have hurt you during this year, if I have caused you discomfort and pain, I am truly sorry. Please forgive me.

Baruch ata adonai...be with us all as we try to be better human beings, human beings full of misgivings and hopes and fears and love. May this year be a healthy one for all of us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment