Sunday, December 16, 2012

It's Time to Answer Your Questions

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer." Zora Neale Hurston

"Something was working deep inside me and, like a tropical storm, it gathered momentum before hitting me full force with its message: you are a woman in search of an adventure, said the voice inside. Take the risk. Say "Yes" to life instead of "No." Alice Steinbach

I inhaled Alice Steinbach's books "Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman" and "Educating Alice." I was in my fifties as was she, and I too was a woman in search of an adventure. I wish I'd written a fan letter to tell her I took her on my adventure to Mexico. Periodically over the next ten years I checked to see what new book she had written, but aside from a collection of articles, that was it. Friday after quoting her at the beginning of a blog post, I decided to google her, and there it was: Alice Steinbach Obituary. She died March 2012. She was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Price for the Baltimore Sun. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. Alice encouraged me to answer the questions. She inspired me to know I could travel alone. Her style of writing: straightforward and well crafted grounds me. She used colons very well.  I'm going to practice that. Thank you Alice. You are a blessing in my life.

Baruch ata adonai...Thank you for Alice Steinbach and Dave Brubeck. I remember them when I listen to Dave's music and read Alice's books for the third or fourth time. They've slipped into the air  I breathe and as long as I remember, they will always be a blessing for me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment