Friday, December 21, 2012

Opening to Myself

"When your eyes are tired
the world is tired also.

When your vision has gone
no part of the world can find you.
David Whyte, Sweet Darkness from House of Belonging

"The antidote to exhaustion is not necessarily rest. The antidote to exhaustion is wholeheartedness. You're so exhausted because you can't be wholehearted at what you're doing...." 
Brother David Steindl-Rast

Last night I looked into the dark sky for stars, and there were none. This morning the sky is red. The expected storm, not yet here, still builds. When I read the words of the two wise men above, I realized I'm onto something. I'm not struggling to push my way out of a dark storm filled box. It helps that my family and I are healthy. In the past the dark months have been very hard for me. Early this year I opened a door and art and music and writing and healing rolled in. Bits of what I've been doing for years combined to fill my days with gratitude, hopefulness, and patience. I'm working hard on the patience part.

Baruch ata adonai...thank you for this time in my life. Beginning and ending my day with prayer and gratitude has opened me to myself. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment