Monday, May 13, 2013

Great News: The Subject Reveals Itself


"Each painting has its own way of evolving....When the painting is finished, the subject reveals itself."
William Baziogtes

After waiting all week, I finally had time to begin painting again. I could hardly wait. For this warm up day, I pulled out a 12x12 canvas waiting for something to happen to it



and one paper that began life in some now forgotten way.


My camera was ready for me to capture the steps in my process. My expectations were low. Music danced inside and outside. The challenge was on.


Quickly George the cat appeared. But no, not exactly. I thought it was going to be Gracie, my labradoodle. It was Gracie pretending to be a cat named George. Go Gracie!


Ever since I bought Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists  by Katherine Dunn, I've been wanting to combine painting with story using found materials. I haven't had time to get to it, but now with George, I have a beginning. I think I'll see what happens if I add some pastels or give him a slight makeover or write his story all around him and add earrings.


This is what happens when I don't know where I'm going and decide to use up the paint left over from George on a canvas I wanted to head in an entirely different direction. I was having such a great time, it was hard not to be exuberant with color and go way over the top.


These paintings aren't finished, but they are revealing themselves. This is so much like real life. If I have fun instead of being serious, if I go where my intuition takes me even if it doesn't make any sense at all, if I play with ideas instead deciding angst is a reasonable way to spend my time, something will evolve that has never been created before. It may be nothing at all, and a day will have passed in a most delightful way. Thanks to Leslie Saeta for reminding me to document my progress.

Baruch ata adonai...have I ever had so much fun painting in such a light and carefree way? I'm still pumped up when I think about it. You keep reminding me to be happy and grateful and this day when I painted I was both. Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment