Friday, May 17, 2013

Staking Claim to Our Dreams

"You say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one."
John Lennon

Once upon a time and even up to this very day, high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains and down a road that winds around a lake, is the place of my dreams. When I have trouble sleeping at night, I dream of our summer cabin and of hiking a well known trail, perhaps to a waterfall or another lake, and I'm soothed as if I were there. We bought this cabin when my children were young teenagers and now, during the winter months when it is closed, our grandchildren dream of it too.



How do we pass on dreams? I want my grandchildren to know there is a place they can return to where multitasking hasn't been invented yet, where people go to borrow a hammer and spend an hour talking about not much at all, where they can climb rocks and one day sit on the deck and look back and see themselves again. I want them to know when life is too much, they too can drive to the cabin and replenish their souls.

I think it might be happening. Tomorrow we drive just two hours and decades away from our daily life, to open up. It's a long couple of days of turning on the water and praying there are no leaks, turning on the propane, sweeping out mouse droppings, raking the area and burning the debris, and then it's paradise. Now our sons come up and do the tough stuff and our grandchildren come to help open too. I want to pass on my dream by creating theirs. I want them to remember when they were little and helped open. I want them to stake their claim.


We create dreams by working hard, not by spinning if onlies, and by sweating the sweat right up to wondering why we ever thought it was a good idea in the first place. I've always known the cabin was a good idea, but I've wondered about the cards I'm creating. I'm just finishing a series of Be Bold girls who have been fishing and kayaking. I love them, but I know if they sell, I can't keep making them by hand. I've got to dream the next stage and march up the mountains of another learning curve. Meanwhile I'm going hiking...


and I'm going to live the dream.


Baruch ata adonai...I am so grateful for all the blessings this wonderful cabin has brought into my life. Thank you for helping me know my dreams can come true. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment