Friday, May 3, 2013

You Never Know Where Your Steps Will Take You


"Art is simply a result of expression during right feeling....Any material will do. After all, the object is not to make art, but to be in the wonderful state which makes art inevitable." Robert Henri, from The Art Spirit.

I'm blooming and sun is raining down on me! Is it any wonder last night I slept better than I have for a week. Monday I wrote about the influence the book, "The Power of Starting Something Stupid," was having on me. As I read into the book, I was unexpectedly going into production on my two card series. Thursday The Haggin Museum gift shop bought three each of six designs in my Little Ladies series. The bouncy character to the left of this post give you the idea, though they're not always bouncing! In the next few days, I'll open my Etsy shop and you can see what I've been doing.

How has this all come together? A couple of years ago after doodling through classes and meetings I began drawing little ladies who are bold, courageous, sometimes timid and unsure, sometimes outrageous, and always beaming with delight. For months a gel pen and a stack of bookmark size cards were next to my bed, and each night I drew a little lady and put her away. When I drew them, I was in a state of non judgmental inquiry. Who would appear tonight? It's interesting to me that I can't always draw them on purpose. They all want to be drawn on a small intimate scale and they all come from a place inside me I'm not always in touch with, though this is certainly the place from which all art that touches hearts comes from. Now if I could can that and put it in my Etsy shop, it would sell like crazy, wouldn't it!

Drawing night after night and through more meetings and classes created quite a stack of little ladies vying for attention. Even ones I didn't especially like at the time looked much better after a rest in an envelope with others of their kind. We never know where the steps we take will take us. Even a week ago I couldn't have said I'd be brave enough to take my drawings to the gift shop. A friend suggested I call them Be Bold Designs. I like that.

Baruch ata adonai...WOW. Thank you for helping me have faith in myself. Thank you for ensuring I wouldn't second guess myself on this one! Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment