Monday, November 12, 2012

The Blessing of Health


Have I been naughty or nice? Will I count my blessings or the number of people at the Thanksgiving table? Can I make changes now rather than resolutions seven weeks from now? I’m beginning to take stock. 

Today I’m thinking about the blessing of health, not the absence of illness, but the kind of health that allows me to have emotional equilibrium, mental clarity, physical endurance, energy, vigor and vitality. Though on occasions I slide off the tail end of the emotional equilibrium scale, though I now accept different standards for mental clarity, though I now have the slower steadier pace of the long distance runner rather than the sprinter, though I’ve had surgeries, broken bones, difficult diagnoses, I’ve always been willing to work for health, and I’ve been lucky!

I am so grateful for the gift of curiosity and the creative and physical energy that allows me to follow where it may lead. This year I’m also grateful for medical science that has enabled my husband to continue to pursue his interests and activities, when for too long it seemed he wouldn’t be able to do so. 

Baruch ata adonai...I never imagined I’d be in the prime of my life in my seventies. Amen








No comments:

Post a Comment