Monday, April 29, 2013

So What Do We Need To Do?

"So what do we do? Anything. Something. So long as we just don't sit there. If we screw it up, start over. Try something else. If we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late."Lee Iacocca

Until I started reading "The Power of starting Something Stupid," by Richie Norton I'd been thinking about making greeting cards for a long time. Along the way I accumulated skills to do that. I've made lots of prototypes and now I have another set. This time I've made 100 cards--four different formats.

Here is one of the first cards I made early on. She is brave and tentative, and despite what she feels and how she looks, and despite the fact that she's standing in thin air, she is in balance and very cute.



As I've been reading "The Power of Starting Something Stupid," I find my work is less tentative. More sure. More vibrant. As I'm reading stores about people who had an idea and ran and stumbled with it until it became a household word, I'm making more and more cards more and more easily. Never thought I'd quote Lee Iacocca and know what he says is just what I need to hear. 


This painting went on to become something else, a lesson in leaving well enough alone. It doesn't exist anymore, but I loved what I did with it. Two years ago I joined a painting group in Mexico and needed to talk to myself a lot. "Dare to fear. Accept what is. Play." In its finished state it said "Fall A lot. Play." I like that. The subtitle of the book I'm reading is "How to crush fear, make dreams happen, and live without regret."  

I wanted to show you where I am now, but something interesting has happened. I've taken pictures of my current cards twice and when I try to move them here, they are no where to be found. I think I should go eat breakfast. Nevertheless, today, now that doesn't necessarily mean today as in this week or this month or this period of time, but rather today, as in this very morning, this very day, I feel I have a product to show, and I have local places I can talk to about showing them. Along the way, I'll know I need to do next. And do it.

Baruch ata adonai...I love the sense of energy and purpose I have this morning. May I always remember I have a well inside me to call upon when I'm standing in mid air and my balance seems tipped toward uncertainty. Today, this very day, I will take steps to make me even more believable to myself. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment