Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Rare Shared Moment

"...our aliveness depends on our ability to sustain wonder: to lengthen the moments we are truly uncovered..."
Mark Nepo, "The Book of Awakening."

I wanted to stop time. I wanted to hold Annie’s seven year old hand forever. On an impulse, I took my granddaughter to see a magical life changing cottage, the anchor of the myths of my twenties, where I once lived with two other teachers not far from her home today. Chainsaws screamed. The driveway was covered with debris four feet deep. The following week the cottage was to be torn down and the lot, in the past only big enough for two small homes in the woods, would be filled wall to wall with two twenty-six hundred square foot homes homes for the rich. Annie was filled with questions and words of condolence. I close my eyes now to relive that moment and wonder again at that time out of time when we held hands and tried to understand the end of paradise. 

Baruch ata adonai...I am so grateful to have shared that raw moment with a child so perceptive and nurturing who asked the questions I had no answers to. Being a grandmother is a constant source of joy and wonder. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment