Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Making Friends With Winter


“A major obstacle to creativity is wanting to be in the peak season of growth and generation at all times....” Linda Leonard

“Well,” I say, hands screwed into my hips, “why not!” I love being in the peak season. Spring and summer are my delight. I dance. I sing. I love brisk morning walks, new possibilities. I bloom. But here we are well into autumn, a time of endings. Days are shorter and though the season has remarkable beauty, the harvest is on and soon fields will be fallow. I can make friends with autumn, but winter has always presented problems for me. Perhaps if I look on winter with a philosophical sweetness, I will see it as a time for resting and restoring myself and my creative energies. 

Baruch ata adonai...when I think of winter, it is not with equanimity but with fear. In the past it has been a difficult time for me. Even now, I dread the shorter days and colder weather. May I learn to see winter as a time of different expectations: a time of to burrow, a time to incubate new ideas, a time to dream. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment