Saturday, October 6, 2012

Honor the Returning Home


“Travel returns us to sharpness of notice; and to be saturated in the sight of what is entirely new....” Cynthia Ozick

You don’t have to travel far to find the entirely new. Three hours from my home is a land far far away from my daily life. For five days I lived with a group of “floating vagabonds,” writers awash in seas of words and food, laughter and tears, and great natural beauty. When I travel, I love not only new sights that stretch my understanding of the world, but also the challenge to my rote ways of behaving day to day that must be reinvented. For me the allure of travel has to do with reminding myself I still have the skills to adapt to change, and I can I create new truths for the way I see myself.

Baruch ata adonai...I return from times of giddy heightened awareness and the allure of new possibilities always challenged by the need to blend what feels like a new me back into my familiar daily life. I am grateful for two days of quiet solitude alone at home before I open next week's calendar. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment