Saturday, October 27, 2012

Ssssh...Just Listen

“The first duty of love is to listen.” Paul Tillich

Sand Hill Cranes, the oldest known bird species still surviving, arrive on the dot of sunset a few miles from my home. Last night, just a few nights from the full moon, I watched as thousands of birds, at a distance first smudges in the orange sunset, arrived in masses and settled amidst thousands of ducks already bedded down for the night. They have a lot to share with each other, and I am jealous. Even at this early morning hour, I think I could close my eyes and fall asleep listening to that sound. 

Baruch ata adonai...if you could teach men one more thing, how about teaching them to listen. Then whisper in their ears just how seductive that is. Amen

To learn more about Sand Hill Cranes go to
http://www.savingcranes.org








No comments:

Post a Comment