Sunday, October 7, 2012

We Are the Journey Itself


“We are neither our point of origin nor our goal: the former is long gone, the latter forever recedes as we move forward. We are the journey itself.”
Swamplands of the Soul--New Life in Dismal Places  by James Hollis

I am on such a high after The Nightwriters writing workshop followed by time spent in the studio of an artist whose work tickles and encourages my whimsical side. My studio shelves, empty a few years ago, are packed with possibilities: painting, drawing, writing, collage, assemblage. I want this creative part of my life to last forever. My inner grown up taps me on the shoulder and gives me a knowing look. “Remember that big accident you had to detour on your way home?” She knows life is packed with other possibilities. Sooner or later the joy of flying with ease will be snagged by unwelcome change, which needs to be lived as well. 

Baruch ata adonai...I am here, but I have to say I’m feeling a bit sulky. 
The books of easy are balanced by the books of sadness and courage?
Yes, I’ve survived hard times, but Adonai I fear the hardest times are ahead of me. 
I am the journey itself? 
Whoa! I’ll think about that one. 
Amen

If you’re looking for a book of inspirational quotes, I’ve just been introduced to a gem. “An Almanac for the Soul” is a book of daily quotes which can be used to get up in the morning in a thoughtful way. Contact The Iona Center to purchase a copy. nancyhiles@comcast.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment