Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Gift of Being Alone

"...Gradually the enveloping quiet became a positive element, almost a presence, which settled comfortably and caressingly around me like a soft shawl....I discovered that I felt at home in the silence, which compelled me to enter my interior world and walk around there....Silence itself had become my teacher."
Karen Armstrong, The Spiral Staircase

A gift last week. Three full days alone. Being alone hasn't always been so easy. There have been times my thoughts and feelings knotted around themselves and pulled me into a snarl of resentment, even though being alone was exactly what I craved. This time I was in peace and the days richly textured. I was able to paint and write and love being with myself. I believe years of writing a morning prayer has taught me to think less and be more.

Baruch ata adonai I am grateful I enjoyed being with myself. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment